Tuesday, July 5, 2011

A sutra to keep focused

It is a wonderful summer day, it will get very warm. During driving to work I thought about how to deal with that situation. I decided if I feel uncertain about the work place, instead of worrying and getting into fears, I need even more the strength of the sutras.

What we learnt with TM is a program, we did it twenty minutes meditation and then repetition of a set of sutras about ten minutes. Meditation is only during the twenty minutes. During those 20 minutes the TM mantra has no meaning. It functions on the level of 'neti, neti', 'not this, not that', it gets finer and disolves, but not conscious aware, just as technique, nobody tells you the reason why it has no meaning.
After the 20 minutes we don't use the mantra, and why?
It would put the process into the opposite, not forget, but remember it. If the meaning would be known, it would be focus, not forgetting it. But it is all done unconsciously.
With Baba we learn the Soham meditation, it is with the breath and means 'I am that', we can do it whenever we remember that the breath is saying Soham. So inhale, ham outhale, so is 'that' and aham is 'I am'.
It is not a program. It is focus. It is not to be forgotten, but to be remembered.
I took a new sutra, one which could be helpful, like the energy in the spine it engenders steadiness.
(Patanjali Yoga Sutras 3,31, kūrma-nāḍyāṁ sthairyam) With focus on the spine we get aware that everybody has a spine. The focus will go on until it merges and becomes one with the self.
That keeps the mind focused.
Baba said we should always be focused, then we don't go into fears and being influenced by the surroundings whatsoever, because what is the use, if we cannot change it anyhow?
I have been focused first on 'neti, neti' (not this, not that) and I went on with that for a long time, years.
Now I focus on 'I am that', but there needs to be a relationship, because getting aware of the relationship means 'I am that'.
Here it is the relationship between the energy and the spine and it should lead to steadiness. But we don't focus on steadiness in the mind, the focus is on the enegergy and the spine, it has nothing to do with the result, the result will be a side effect.

No comments: